History of Twijnstraat 17
Before De Drie Koningen
The imposing manor house at Ridderstraat 12 was once a clinic, known in Bruges as the Holy Family Clinic of Doctor Depoorter. August Depoorter (1892-1956) from Izegem was sent to the front as a medical student during WWI. In 1916, he was badly injured on his right leg and transferred to l'Hôpital L'Océan in De Panne, where he met Queen Elisabeth. A sympathy developed between the two, which they continued to maintain after WWI.
After several operations on the right lower limb, he was eventually amputated at upper leg level. After the war, he went to England, married there and then continued his studies in Paris for training in dermatology (skin diseases), radiology and physiotherapy (now called physiotherapy).
He completed his studies at ULB. From this physiotherapy, rheumatology would then develop in the 1950s. At that time, dermatologists were frequently engaged in physiotherapy treatments. From there, he later developed a practice of physiotherapy (physical treatment) and rheumatology.
Doctor Depoorter came to Bruges in late 1920, bought this building at 12 Ridderstraat in 1923 and practised dermatology, venereology (venereal diseases) and physiotherapy-rheumatology. After the acquisition, the Ridderstraat house was converted into a private clinic with 15 beds (the house extended into Twijnstraat). It became a clinic for physiotherapy, radiotherapy, chronic diseases, rheumatological diseases and skin diseases. He was assisted for hospitalisation by the Sisters of Pittem, who were also attached to the National Education Clinic in the Werkhuisstraat.